Saturday 5 July 2014

Week beginning July 7th - The importance of shoes

You know when you're young and invincible? Perhaps you are at that stage now, or perhaps you remember when you were, or perhaps you think you still are.

I'm at the 'think you still are stage'. That is until I get home and sit down. I remember when I was at the 'I know I am invincible' stage.  This was from about the ager of 17 to 30. Then my knees started to give in, mainly after waking up and trying to walk to the kitchen for breakfast. Sharp, stabbing pains in my left inside knee. I've been working hospitality since I was 17 in bars and restaurants, continuously on my feet, often working double shifts just to make extra money, or because I could. Remember I was young and invincible. So being on my feet all day was just the way things were.

It was not until I was about 29 that I found out I have very, very flat feet. This was one of the reasons why I had such bad pains, not enough support in my shoes. I was also wearing pretty bad shoes.

I now wear inserts inside my shoes to help correct that and to provide much needed support. I buy trainers that are designed for flat feet people. Most of them are pretty bad looking, so I do lots of research to try to find ones that look half decent.

Still today I am on my feet a lot of the time. I walk 15 minutes each day to and from the tube station, sometimes doing it twice in one day if required. At the shop, especially in the early days I would be on my feet for 12 hours straight, working, working, working.

Now I see the youngsters coming in here to work, some of them wearing poor support or just plain bad shoes. I try, as a person of experience, to coach them on the importance of good shoes, but they are young, and invincible. Then eventually some of them buy good ones, ones that do provide support and provide comfort and I notice and I say ' hey, nice shoes'. You also notice that they are happier, they feel better, quite simply they work faster. Up the stairs, down the stairs, around the shop. They walk faster to and from the tube, their life gets better overall.

Trust me on this, or don't.....it's amazing what a difference a shoe can make.

Please enjoy this weeks inspired 'raw food' menu, as we will enjoy running around to bring it to you.

Traditional bircher muesli with rhubarb and raspberry compote 3.60 (V)
Granola muesli with pomegranate molasses and rhubarb and raspberry compote 3.60 (V)
Fruit salad (pineapple, mango, strawberries, grapes, passion fruit) 3.70 (GF, V)
Ciabatta roll with omelette, pancetta, rocket and tomato salsa 4.90
Ciabatta roll with courgette omelette, rocket and tomato salsa 4.90
Croissant with Italian roast ham, talleggio cheese, spinach & plum tomatoes 4.90
Seven seed bakery bloomer toast with home made preserves 1.90
Pumpkin seed and apricot fruit toast 2.40
Banana bread 2.40

Pastries by Seven Seed bakery
French butter croissant 1.90
Pain au chocolat 2.50
Almond croissant 2.80

Baked Treats
Sweet muffin: Blueberry and bran  (V) 2.40
Savoury Scone: Spinach and feta (V) 2.40
Friand: Elderberry (V, GF) 2.40
Super moist chocolate brownies 2.40
White chocolate blondies 2.40
Portuguese tarts 2.00
ANZAC cookies 2.00
Raspberry and coconut slice 2.00
Canele 2.40

Lunch
French retro baguettes 5.00
Pancetta, balsamic apricots, Camembert, basil and rocket
Tomato, avocado, mozzarella, chilli and oregano mayonnaise, spinach (V)

Foccacias 5.30
Ham, onion marmalade, mature cheddar and spinach
Saute mushroom, fondue, tarragon and rocket (V)

Salads: 5.50/6.90
Heirloom tomatoes with bresaola, olives, fresh peas, red onion and goats cheese (GF)
Cucumber, pomegranate, pistachio, fennel, poppy seeds, parsley and wild carrot flowers (VE, GF)
Cauliflower with baby capers, shallots, basil, lemon and ribwort plantain flowers (VE, GF).

Tart: 4.50 or 7.90 with salad
Large rice paper wraps with cured tuna, spring vegetables, glass noodles and peanuts (F, GF).

Weekend Menu 28/6, 5/7, 12/7
5.50/6.90
Spicy chicken with carrots, red peppers, red onion, cucumber, coriander and peanuts
Nectarines with tomatoes, avocado, olives, mozzarella, rocket and basil dressing
Roasted beetroot with pecan nuts, marscapone cheese and watercress

Tart 4.50 or 7.90 with salad
Spring green vegetable quiche


No comments:

Post a Comment