Thursday 2 August 2012

Week beginning July 30th - 3 years ago


Three years ago I turned 40, perhaps for some people a cause for celebration and a huge party with all your friends, perhaps one last rave up before you retire? I didn't, no, instead I finished at my full time, comfortable salaried position at the greatest cricket ground in the world and became self employed.

Even when I handed in my resignation I was okay, it was not until the Saturday night of my first week that it began to hit me. We were half way through renovations, my wife was 4 months pregnant, we lived in a one bedroom flat in Hackney and I did not have a job. I seriously only slept a few hours a night for almost a week.

On the Wednesday night (my birthday), Mrs K took me to the Ritz for late afternoon tea, she treated me so well and wanted to look after me, it was incredible, and I was so tired. During that day, I was using her Apple mac laptop to do all my planning, went into a nearby cafe with wifi and somehow locked all the computer. Massively stressed, I went to Apple store and basically begged them to help me fix it, jumping the queue who were waiting. I don't know how, but they did. 'Please, it's my 40th birthday, you have to help me' while sweating and wild eyed/dark circles may have helped.

However, now, our business is three years old on August 14th, we employ 13 people, we have a two and half year old who is just amazing, and Mrs K is the most beautiful and supportive friend that I have. I have met as customers some totally wonderful people and employed some absolutely incredible ones who have made Kaffeine their life in London  too.

(Forty) Three years old. This birthday, I took the day off with my wife and went out for a lovely breakfast at St John Hotel, followed by some shopping and then lunch at Barrafina, then on Saturday we went for dinner at Hawksmoor Seven Dials with business partner Hayden.

I still don't sleep well, but hey, that's the life, and I wouldn't change it for anything. 


Traditional bircher muesli with rhubarb and raspberry compote 3.30
Granola muesli with pomegranate molasses and rhubarb and raspberry compote 3.30
Fruit salad (pineapple, mango, strawberries, grapes, passionfruit, peach) 3.50
(add 30 p for granola or yoghurt)
Ciabatta Roll with omelette, pancetta, rocket and tomato salsa 4.70
Ciabatta Roll with courgette omelette, rocket and tomato salsa 4.70
Croissant with Italian roast ham, talleggio cheese, spinach & plum tomatoes 4.70
Croissant with gruyere cheese and plum tomatoes 3.90
Seven seed bakery bloomer toast with homemade preserves 1.70
Pumpkin seed toast 2.30
Banana Bread 2.20

Pastries by Seven Seed bakery
French butter croissants 1.70
Pain au chocolat 2.30
Almond croissants 2.70

Baked Treats
Flat nectarine and rose sweet muffins 2.00
Carrot, coriander and satay savoury muffins 2.00
Tiramisu friands 2.00
Super moist chocolate brownies 2.30
White chocolate blondies 2.30
Portuguese tarts 1.90
ANZAC cookies 1.70
Melting moment biscuits 1.70

Lunch

French retro baguettes 4.70
Tuna, rouille, capers, rocket
Italian roast ham with gherkin, dijon, red onion, spinach, gruyere

Foccacias with sea salt and rosemary crust 4.90
Ham, red onion jam, mature cheddar, rocket and aioli
Mushrooms with Welsh rarebit and spinach

Salads 4.90/5.90
Charentais melon with toasted fennel seeds, sambuca, pancetta
White peaches with toasted almonds, lemon marscapone, baby spinach and water pepper
Roasted bintje potato with fresh peas and olive tapenade

Tart 4.00 or 6.90 with salad
Creamed salmon tart with wild horesradish green




Weekend salad menu and guest espresso
Salads 5.50/6.50
Soft boiled egg with smoked salmon, croutons, hollandaise and baby spinach
Apricots, cherry tomatoes, bufala mozzarella, pesto and rocket
Roast aubergine with sweet chilli, goats cheese and Thai basil

Tart 5.00 or 7.50 with salad
Courgette, leeks, pancetta, free range eggs and cheese

Guest Espresso
Monks Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment